Sunday 27 November 2005

Book-world

This tag thing is infectious! One of these days I think I'll come up with one myself (as soon as I come up with a bunch of sensible questions :P). But for now I'll just follow up on Akshi's posting on books, favourite and otherwise.
Two books I like:
The Lord of the Rings - J R R Tolkien: I love fantasy. And LOTR is fantasy at it's grandest! I love the elaborate world Tolkein created, especially the awesome detail! Every now and then I find myself wishing there really were elves somewhere :).
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas: This book, to me, has been an eye opener. It blurs the simple black and white of good and bad. Kicked the shit out of me by showing how the devil exists within the best of us. But left my heart aching at the end in a way few books have.
Two books I've read that I think are unusual for some reason:
Trust Akshi to come up with something like this.
I, Robot - Isaac Asimov: It's just so real in parts. And then of course the robot will start talking. I was also extremely surprised with myself for feeling terribly, terribly sorry for Dr. Susan Calvin. I haven't felt that sorry even for myself! Ever!
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller: Had I not read this book, I would not have believed it was possible to inject so much sarcasm into a book and still make it impossible to hate.
Two authors I like:
J R R Tolkien: For a very obvious reason! He created Middle Earth!!
Isaac Asimov: Dunno why, just like the way he writes :).
Two books I dont like so much:
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K Dick: This one plain scared me. It's just so wierd. This book sucks even the hope of normalcy out of you. The worst part is that it's gripping, and even though I didn't want to, I kept reading till it was over. I think I've mentioned this in some previous post...
Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams: This is the fifth and last book of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. The end in this book just shattered it for me. I couldn't believe how it could all end like that, in a puff of smoke! I had gotten quite attached to Arthur Dent actually :-<.
Two books I own and am fond of:
Treasure Island - R L Stevenson: This one belonged to my grandfather. It's one of those extremely old hard bound copies. And I just love reading it again every now and then.
The Adventures of Tintin - Herge: This isn't one book, I have some twelve of them I think. The sheer joy they have given me when I was younger - :D.
Two books I'd like to buy:
This keeps changing fairly frequently, since I'm more of a compulsive reader.
The sequel to The Simoqin Prophecies by Samit Basu, whenever it comes out. Desperately want to see where he's going to take the story.
Damn! Can't think of another book I'd like to buy! The City of Joy was on this list for a long time, then I bought it. Ah yes! There's The Silmarillion (JRR Tolkien), I've read it, but would love to own it.
Hmm. That took longer than I'd expected. Let's not get into the possible reasons :P. Tagging Hema and Beerbal, though I'm not sure if the latter will respond anytime soon... One lives in hope.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I had tonnes of fantasy books to put in my list as well. Infact I had put them in answers to some other questions which I later deleted to make the tag shorter.

    Cool, I'm looking forward to the sequel to Simoqin Prophecies myself. It was supposed to come out in Decemer this year, but can't find proper info anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haan kya? Plss plss tell me if and when you find out abt the release!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA! seriously??!! Abbey cool! You can get us pre release copies :D! What say Mak??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe, yes we should put approach! Somebody tag this woman also, I want to read a whole list full of Mills and Boons :D.

    ReplyDelete