Thursday 13 April 2006

All set!

That of course does not mean that I got my Malaysian visa. However, since my trip to KL now stands cancelled, that doesn't matter any more. So I'm finally leaving directly for Australia on Monday and since the heavens (read: consulates and ticketing offices) have been particularly kind, I have my Aussie visa as well as my tickets! Perth, here I come!!! :D On the way to get those tickets however, I managed to get stuck in the Metro compartment doors! Thankfully they don't shut too hard, otherwise it could have turned really nasty :|.

After my accidentally extended stay at home, I'm distinctly less than raring to get back to the ship actually. And that has nothing to do with having to leave home. The Trident is currently off the Barrow Islands (N W of Australia) and has recently had too many cyclones brush way too close for comfort. Doesn't make for a very comfortable berth, getting chucked around by the waves. And with 60% of all the in-sea gear lost (that means the cables 'n stuff just snapped and floated away in the storm), I really don't envy the chaps pulling shifts right now.

--
There's a fair amount of indignant protest happening these days against the whole 49.5% reservation in IITs and IIMs. And I can't avoid feeling rather depressed by the fact that all this barely seems to be making a difference to those who matter in this case. These institutions are supposedly 'autonomous'. What sense does that make if you have some politicians decide who gets in and who doesn't, on the basis of a report now over a quarter of a century old!! And they call us the largest democracy on the planet :-<.

--
Well, I'm off. Away from the bustling city for a quick trip to Shantiniketan. And this time I'm driving. Nothing like a nice 200 Km drive down superb 4-6 lane highways to lift sagging spirits :). And maybe I'll use my camera. Haven't uploaded a single pic on either of my blogs for over a month. Which is a shame really... summer thunderstorms in Kolkata are usually rather spectacular affairs.

Feeling:
relieved
Listening to: Pearl Jam - Release

8 comments:

  1. Hey cool, off to Australia then. Now you can get a kangaroo as a pet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ akshi: :)) yeah right, and have it hopping all around the helideck?!! you have NO idea how funny that will be =))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for the pics...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ vw: uh-oh. I failed to mention, there haven't been any thunderstorms this summer yet... so no pics :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shantiniketan...poet Tagore's homeplace. Must be different...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @clt: er...there is usually a baby in the pouch and I doubt that the mommy kangaroo will let you peep inside there, let alone take a pic:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a feeling it won't be a very pretty sight either. Kray, how about a koala? It wouldn't hop as much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ id it is: it still is, but given the explosion of tourism, it's all going downhill :(.

    @ clt: :D as histrionix said, not worth the risk, esp since kangaroos are supposed to have a mean hind leg kick!

    @ akshi: sadly the ships pretty much a 'no pets' place. unless of course u have a bird, in which case u can always say it flew in through the port hole :P.

    ReplyDelete