Friday 12 December 2008

The upside of traveling light

But really, how light do you have to get before you actually see it?

For once I'm not overly thrilled to be heading to a new country. For one, there's the supposedly ubiquitous female Anopheles mosquito :|. Then there are the job related issues that I will spare you from. And then of course there is the travel arrangement itself. To sum up (and significantly simplify) the confusion that is rife on that last matter: I have been trying to figure out a way to pack my check-in bag in such a way as to cause myself least distress in case I never get it back :-<.

Not an easy task. Fortunately, (though that word doesn't really fit in here) the last time I temporarily lost my bag, gave me a rather stark insight into what would cause me distress. I'm trying to learn from the past here. We've been officially asked not to check in any baggage when flying into Luanda, Angola. If we ever want to see the baggage again, that is.

What I'm also trying to do is set things up so that I don't have to check in baggage at all, in the future. There's a most terrible, though not very obvious consequence of that. I'd be very effectively decimating my chances of randomly shooting off for little trips here and there. Unless of course, I end up carrying around a significantly larger piece of 'cabin baggage' :|. Something to think about on my long flight to Frankfurt later tonight. Any bets on if there will be in-seat video? Here's a clue, I'm flying Lufthansa :|.
--
To flashback a little, I did manage to attend the other half of that wedding :). But it involved a day of a lot of driving and very little sleep :-<. Unfortunately, since then a family medical situation has had me clocking three digit trips every single day, in central Kolkata traffic :(. Definitely not for the fainthearted.

So yet another short trip home shot right past me. I think it's significant enough to note that Anuj and I failed to see a planned meeting materialize, yet again :)). There's something about the two of us trying to meet in Cal. It's been what, 5 or 6 years now? Spooky :). And of course, I'm no less tired and stressed than I was before I got here. I think, one of these days, it'll be nice to have a proper quiet break at home. Just for the heck of it :D.

Currently: stressed :-<
Listening to: Moby - Sweet apocalypse

2 comments:

  1. I think that if one needs a quiet break, home is not the place to be:) You need to take off to some remote place where you don't know anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I know, I know... but wouldn't it be nice... if for once... :-<

    ReplyDelete