Thursday 4 June 2009

Bubbles

It's been a while since I've had to have this conversation, but when I was starting out it was pretty frequent.

x: What do you do?
me: I work offshore.
x: Oh! Like on an oil rig?
me: No, on a ship.
x: Oh okay. You must know how to swim then?

:|

And then I'd launch into the long and arduous discussion as to how pointless the question was. That it was completely beside the point that I can actually swim. That it meant squat and wouldn't do me the slightest bit of good if I were to find myself in the middle of the ocean, without some sort of flotation device /:). That, as a matter of fact, the first thing they teach you in sea-survival 101 is to not try to swim or thrash about too much in case you do find yourself over-board!!
Okay, so I may have been over-simplifying things somewhat, but that is essentially true. (It's a waste of energy and only hastens the onset of hypothermia, in case you were wondering, even in 'warm' waters.) But fact is, most would agree, if you're in the water without a life jacket, you're already in very very deep trouble. Irrespective of the actual water depth :). But now, in typically hypocritical fashion, all that's gone out the window.

Not that it's a big deal, but while I'm quite happy now that I can, in fact, actually swim :), some people are equally happy that they can't! :))

Currently: amused
Listening to: David Archuleta - Crush

No comments:

Post a Comment