Sunday 10 January 2010

The end of a vacation.

So here's the thing, ever since I got back home, my life's been something of a mess. Created mainly by things I had not much control over. So while I was waiting for the fates and destinies that watch over us (okay, that means my visa co-ordinator, members of a certain law firm and of the US Consulate here in Kolkata) to do something to sort out said mess, I went into overdrive watching movies on the laptop and reading books.
There really wasn't that much else to do. TV's a bore. Couldn't leave the house in case that elusive email arrived the moment I set a foot outside. Couldn't be bothered with gaming (and honestly, after finishing it 5 times, even NFS MW can seem like a bit of a drag...).
The movies for the most part were the regular drivel I'd picked up in Bombay this time. Fracture, Chaos Theory, Lucky You... you get the idea. Stuff that requires not much mental effort. Okay, I quite liked K-PAX! Having been bewitched by the awesome soundtrack for a while now, I was happy to see the rest of the movie to go with it. Been a while since I'd seen Kevin Spacey being his usual stunning self. Oh and Ghost Town was quite funny! I don't think I've actually seen Ricky Gervais in a leading role before. (Had to look up the name :P.)
As for the books, didn't take me long to get through my borrowed copy of Northern Lights. Yeah, after three months of visiting the bookstore-under-the-escalator, I'd given up on actually getting a copy for myself. But then I didn't have the other two, so after a long time, had to resort to an e-book :(. That's where the trouble began.
I had started on David Brin's Startide Rising while in Bombay, but couldn't finish it, and my host, gracious as he was, wouldn't part with that particular book. I don't blame him really, I mean at every other December, maybe, I'm not one for regular visits, and hence the possibility of return would be somewhat indefinite. But it takes more patience to read a book on a computer screen, and affords much less satisfaction, I find. So I ended up splitting my time between the Pullman sequel and the Brin.Sadly though, two e-books still couldn't keep me from feeling the need for something proper, and I picked up the Asimov that's been sitting with me, unread for over 3 months now. Whoever said Pebble in the Sky wasn't worth reading is nuts! The book is totally awesome!! Okay, so it's not among the best or anything, but if this one's anything to go by, I'm definitely putting more effort to get the other two Empire novels before long!And therein lies the trouble. I'm done with the paperback, and I'm still somewhere in the first quarters of the other two. I just know I'll have to pick up another hard copy. There's a reason I don't read books simultaneously. I tend to get confused :|. Crap.
And why am I positively overflowing with such completely pointless ramblings? I guess I'm a little nervous about the interview tomorrow morning :(. It's been a miracle of sorts really, actually getting that expedited visa interview. But with about 30 hours between that and my flight out, I'm kinda cutting it mighty fine here. And that is of course, if I can convince the levitating head behind the plate glass that there's absolutely no reason to deny me a visa. Again. :-< Currently: tired of visas :(
Listening to: Edward Shearmour - Grand Central (K-PAX soundtrack)


Update - 1630, 12/1/10: It's all good! Well, I'm all set to leave anyway. Not necessarily the best thing, but hey, it could be worse :). Just got the passport back, with the visa. Flight's in a few hours. See you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment