Saturday 30 April 2011

The stars, like dust...

What's up with the weather? It's been raining almost everyday, and this is supposed to be summer! Well, I'm not complaining. If I manage to sneak out before the heat really kicks in, all the better. That would be day after. Yes, the flights came in. Of course, seeing how I'm travelling to... yup, you guessed it, the Red Sea again, the escape from heat might not actually work out. Still, I suppose it's better than tornadoes bringing hailstorms that put holes through your car! Which is what apparently happened to my aunt in Tennessee earlier today :S.

Right, so I'm finally done, with everything written by Asimov himself in the Foundation universe!! Yay! :) The pile of unread books in my shelf right now has been reduced to only GRRMs, and those I'm going to keep that way till book six comes out. Or till such a time when I've finished reading everything else I've ever wanted to read, in case said book takes a really long time coming.. who knows right?

And having started my foray into the rest of Asimov's formidable works with Nemesis, I was struck by the publishers' sense of humour. I mean, who feels the need to put this disclaimer in a sci-fi novel?!!
"All of the characters in this book are fictitious, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental."
But it was the Author's Note that really embodied some of the reasons that make reading Asimov a delight for me :).
"... I made up my mind long ago to follow one cardinal rule in all my writing - to be clear. ... I would write merely clearly and in this way establish a warm relationship between myself and my readers, and the professional critics - Well, they can do whatever they wish.
However, my stories write themselves, I'm afraid, and in this one, I was rather appalled to find out that I was writing it in two strands. ... I am sure you will have no trouble following the pattern, but since we are all friends, I thought I would let you know."

- Isaac Asimov, Nemesis
Currently: procrastinating
Listening to: The Cinematic Orchestra - Breathe

No comments:

Post a Comment