Sunday 25 September 2011

Back to the deep

I suppose I have been rather remiss with regards to keeping up with events lately. Well, I've been busy! Sort of :). Actually, now that I look back on it, this was probably the busiest break I've had in a long time. Assuming travelling was the primary scale of reference. For one thing, I managed to clock four beds, three couches, one bare mattress and a floor :D.

The last week was a pretty perfect wind-down. The weather was quite nice, allowing me to actually step out with fair regularity. Something that had definitely not happened the last time I was visiting New Haven :). As always though, it was an awesome food-week :D.

I think I'd somehow managed to forget about the Thunderbolt Kid in my last post! So it turns out, my cousin is a major Bryson buff, only bad thing is, he loves hard backs, i.e. no can borrow :(. I proceeded instead, to finish up the one with the catchiest of starting lines while I was there :). Having not read a word of anything in over a month, I was aching to gobble up the pages! Oh but what pages! Who could have thought half a century ago the world was such a wildly different place?! :)

It's the doses of often startling reality though, the ones Bryson nails dead between the eyes with such aplomb while weaving a superhero story, that got me. I, for one, would love to read his dad's baseball reports, even though I understand next to nothing of that game.

Speaking of books, I finally managed to lay hands on another author I'd been trying to read for a while, Neil Gaiman. My choices were Stardust, yes, the one of the 2007 movie fame, and Neverwhere. I settled for the latter, having never even heard of the TV series, I happily avoided comparisons. No matter which way I turn, there's no escaping fantasy, it would appear :). I wish all things in life worked out as well...

So yeah, between reading and checking out eating places and being generally useless while others cooked.. well, it was pretty awesomely lazy :D. That trend more or less continued on to the last day and a bit in NYC. Except that meant it was pretty much time-up.

I can distinctly remember the last time I had a single flight for a crew change, all the way back in January '06 :). Even that one wasn't a non-stop flight. So flying Newark - Lisbon direct to work was something of a novelty! But the following immigration wait wasn't :|. Eventually, after a couple of days of travelling I did make it back to the boat in the middle of some rather awful weather. Now it's just a matter of trying to settle back down after what's been, on balance, a pretty awesome month...

Turns out it's okay to slip up once in a blue moon. The trick, I suppose, is not to make a habit of it.

Currently: weather-watching
Listening to: The Band Perry - If I die young

No comments:

Post a Comment