Wednesday 10 October 2012

When will our Atlas shrug?

It would appear that I am to have one more look at the wind-blown Scottish north-east. Seeing how I'm headed back to Aberdeen at the beginning of next week. This time around I might even get an overnight stay. Maybe there'll be enough time to look around. We shall see.


In the mean time, this break's gone by rather quick, well, quicker than usual. I suppose the book might have had something to do with it. Yep, finally finished with Atlas Shrugged. I think I mostly read books for stories. A little bit for the opportunity to marvel at the way different people choose to breathe life into their characters. And sometimes take it away. Pretty much never for philosophy. That I prefer to infer on my own, having read the story.

Unfortunately, the one thing Ayn Rand gives you a lot of is raw, undisguised, unadulterated philosophy. And by lot I do really mean a lot. Being one of those people who'd do something just 'cos I'm told not to, it was a bit of a struggle at times, the spoon-feeding. On the other hand, once you've got a handle on the story, you do really want to see where it goes.



The ending, unfortunately, is a little predictable I thought, all things considered. But what did I expect? After being handed unhealthy doses of barely veiled hints at the inevitability of the conclusion, there can really be no surprises.

Well, I decided to move on to more familiar ground with Jonathan Stroud's return to the world of Bartimaeus, The Ring of Solomon. Thus far, it appears happily free of philosophical discourse :).

Current mood: Why is John Galt?!
Listening to: Fever Ray - If I had a heart

No comments:

Post a Comment