Thursday 31 October 2013

The Book of Life vs A Tale of Living

It's been a while since I've read books that have come out quite recently, for some reason or another. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore was an exception to that, having been published just about a year or so ago. I finished reading it last night, quickest I've finished with a book in a while, and there was a curious lightness to the after-taste.


I don't recall reading particularly dark books of late, but somehow I kept imagining something worse was about to happen, betrayals, shocking ulterior motives or whatever :). Thankfully, nothing did. For a moment I thought that was a slight let-down. But then I figured, why not? Why not have a book that tells a story which is remarkable in the telling, but quite commonplace in the outcome. The journey had enough twists and turns to allow for an unspectacular ending.


I almost felt the book ended a good couple of chapters from the end, and the rest was merely some extra bits and pieces thrown in to keep you in the mood for a little bit longer :). I say that as a good thing, just so there is no misunderstanding!


The contrasts might have been a touch contrived, but they worked well! Dungeons and dragons amidst blue-skied San Francisco. A quiet, quick journey into dreams of immortality.

Feeling: let down by a long day
Listening to: Carly Rae Jepsen - Tug of war

No comments:

Post a Comment