Wednesday 29 July 2015

Monsoon tales


It's been a few days now that I've been here in Kolkata. And for the most part it's been a lot of fun. Even when it isn't outright great, a sense of nostalgia seems to kick in and make things better. For the first time that I can remember, I feel like I am looking in from the outside rather than settling in smoothly into the mix.

Which is not to say that the old habits haven't kicked in :-). It's just that they haven't done so quite as seamlessly as before. Take driving, for instance. It wasn't till the second afternoon I was here that I actually got behind the wheel! Not bad, you'd think, for a 19 month break from any sort of right hand driving, let alone Indian driving, but it is. The reason is that it wasn't just my mom who was reluctant, I was too! Fortunately though, since then regular service has more or less resumed. Except, I can still feel myself having to make the effort. And I notice when the old habits take over and I let them...

Having said that, the weather's been pretty awesome :-). The temperature has been perfect and the thunderstorms proper, with all the tremendous thunder and lightning I remember from monsoons past. The only trouble is with the constant overcast skies. Can't have everything I suppose.

It's been almost hectic, the first few days. But now things can hopefully calm down a little, even if for a day or two. More family visits are looming in the near future and there's barely ten days to go before my flight back. I knew two weeks was never going to feel like enough. When has it ever?

In the mean time though, I'm looking forward to more meetings catching up and conversation around the house. My Bangla is almost back to free flowing :-D. 

Currently: at home!
Listening to: the wind that is strong yet not the least freezing

No comments:

Post a Comment