Wednesday 4 April 2012

Rumblings in the dark

This feels like as good a time as any to indulge in a spot of random chatter. It started raining earlier in the evening. Finally, if you ask me! It's been pretty hot since I got here last week, not quite as humid as it gets, but then again, this is barely April.

I'm a big fan of watching the rain, as I may have mentioned. It's fun watching thunderstorms from windows, or doorways. From under an overhang of some sort even. Not so much from under trees :). Night-time tends to mess that up a little. But tonight the city lights went out, and the lightning came out to play! So I figured I'd go up to the terrace and watch!

One good thing with living near the airport is the limit on how tall buildings can be. And whoever built this apartment block hit the limit, or at least got closer than anyone else in the neighbourhood :). The result is a near all-round view of the sky. Tonight, that translated to a pretty awesome display. Gigantic electric forks descending on all sides, throwing brief blinding flashes of brilliance. Some close, some further away. Some hidden behind sheets of clouds that turned momentarily from brooding, inky black into translucent, seething white.

I was wondering if I should maybe get the cam when a stray gust of wind blew a flurry of raindrops around the corner I was hiding behind, right into me, quickly dispelling any misguided attempts at lightning capture. Tell you what though, none of this is quite as impressive as a proper thunderstorm at sea :).

Is it just me, or are there more sirens blaring around town these days? Mostly ambulances, would be my guess. I suppose that's a good thing. In that, sick or hurt people are probably at least getting somewhere.

No, haven't really been reading that much. For some reason, Catching Fire has started off a bit slowly for me. Maybe it's like someone says on the back cover, now that I know the characters a bit, I'm a little more worried about what happens next. Then again, I have been rather busy. What with that visa application. And there were the visits and pujas and such other things that have caused me to inhale altogether way too much holy smoke over the last few days.

Currently: House bound
Listening to: Gotan Project - Whatever Lola wants

No comments:

Post a Comment