Sunday 31 March 2024

Of travelling ceiling lamps, lost electricity meters and slushy snow

Recency bias is a thing. I mean, I know for a fact that I've definitely felt run off my feet during most of March, yet, having had a nice and very relaxed Easter break for most of the last week, I'm feeling closer to chill than I have done at any point this year. Yeah, crazy! Well, that's how it feels anyway.

But yes, it has been very nice to be able to kinda slow down. Took the first couple of days to just sleep in really! And since then it's been more about pottering about the flat, sorting a few more things out. To be honest, after the initial spurt and the visitors, there hasn't been that much headspace to do all that much really. Although it must be said, getting used to a move takes time, so it's probably for the best that we didn't try and do too many things too soon.

The internet's working properly though!! Yay! And it took most of three months, but we finally have all our ducks in a row when it comes to transferring over all the bits and pieces from the previous owners. We think. How boring does that sound?! :D. I feel like there's nothing that makes you feel more like an adult (in all the mostly boring/blah ways) than owning a place.

So why didn't it feel this way the last time around? Hmm. Food for thought. I wonder if it had something to do with the fact that at that point I was also trying to adjust to landlubber life after nearly a decade of offshore rotations? Adulting has many faces. Mostly though, it seems to be about figuring out that the adults never really had anything figured out anyway. Hurray!

On to the more mundane (or exciting, depending..) matters of weather and such, spring is definitely on the way. In that wet, damp and somewhat miserable way it has sometimes when the snow disappears more from getting washed away while the world stays enveloped in fog, rather than getting melted away in the more exciting company of blue skies and sunshine! But hey, the crocuses are trying to put in an appearance, so I'm not necessarily complaining. 

Somehow I'm not unhappy at all to see the back of the snow at this point. Maybe it's because we did manage to get in one more day of some pretty fun cross country skiing. And even an afternoon of snowboarding! But the cross country first.

Got invited to a weekend away to Blefjell with some acquaintances, so we get there Friday evening and settle in. All of Saturday is basically a blizzard blowing outside, the likes of one I've never seen before! Once the winds abated and the clear skies came out, there was a bit of work to be done to dig the cars out :/.

The Sunday was just amazing weather though! So we made the most of it :).

Then later the same week, we had a Winter Day with work, which involved carting our choice of snow shredding equipment to work and heading off the Tryvann Winterpark at lunchtime! The rest of the day was spent enjoying some of the very slopes where I took my first very shaky steps on a snowboard sixteen years ago!! Time does fly.

So that was most of the excitement, but I've also been reading a little bit! Richard Osman's latest was entertaining enough, if not spectacular. Although, I did have a very enjoyable time on the train to work one day, so much so that a fellow passenger had to sneak a peek at what I was reading to see what was making me shake quite so much while I tried to stifle my laughter :).

After that I decided to try some more Norwegian, but this time took the easy way out with Batman: Earth One. Norwegian translations of which are to be found in our local library :). Quite an interesting take on Gotham's finest. I mean, weird, but kinda novel!

While I was at the library, also decided to pick up a copy of Fight Club. Why? Not entirely sure. I guess it had something to do with the fact that the staff had decided to stick it on the recommended shelf? I'd watched the film, maybe a couple of times, but nearly twenty years ago and was left suitably dazed/shocked. The book though, is entirely at another level.

One interesting thing was to try and keep my knowledge of the protagonist/Tylor Durden relationship from messing too much with the reading experience. But then I'd see sentences like this:

"I know this because Tyler knows this."

Anyway. I think I got a bit creeped out by some of it. The satire is very very dark for my taste. But then again, was that really unexpected? So now the book's just sitting there on the living room table, waiting for me to pick it up again. I think I'd like to finish it. We'll see.

Well, there's one more day of the break left before getting chucked back out into the churn and bustle of the world. To be honest, not looking forward to it. Maybe I just need a longer break. Don't we all though?

No comments:

Post a Comment