Monday 25 June 2007

Brrrrr!

My joy at being able to sleep on flights was entirely premature, it would seem :-<. But I can't really tell, it might have helped if I'd not started watching the movie :). Watched two on the way here actually, Shooter on the first one. Quite liked it. The woman (Kate Mara) was entirely unnecessary though :|. At least they should have cast someone with some theatrical ability beyond frightened/ blank looks. It was also too reminiscent of a ton of other movies. And no, despite the glowing review from whatever newspaper, it doesn't even come close to the Bourne movies /:). Decent enough one time watch though.

Which is more than I can say for the one I saw on the second flight. Ghost Rider. Okay, by then it was broad daylight, so I couldn't really have slept instead :|. Nicolas Cage must really have set his skull on fire to do such a thing. I mean, you can put someone like Vin Diesel in that kind of a spot and it'll be fun. Cage? It turns into something very sad. If I were the unforgiving kind I'd probably have gone with pathetic. But anyway, the custom 'ghost'-ified cruiser was pretty cool, I thought :D. And oh! It's been shot in Melbourne! That arched bridge he rides his bike up is over the Yarra River!

But the better part of the second flight was actually spent finishing Hanif Kureishi's Gabriel's Gift. I'd never heard of the author before. But, against my better judgement, I'd decided to trust my cousin and had brought it along. (The last time I'd done that was with Foucault's Pendulum, and after struggling through it for what, half a year? I finally gave up! Something I almost never do with books. It's now happily back with its owner who still stands by his opinion though he himself hasn't read half of it :|.) Do excuse the digression, Foucault brings back strong feelings.

Anyway, this one was altogether a completely different experience. If anything, Gabriel's Gift is a fast and quite compelling read. And the story is interesting. I sometimes had difficulty thinking of Gabriel as a fifteen year old, but every time I was reminded that under the circumstances perhaps, it was an astute enough depiction. The book's not entirely dark or gloomy, but there's a fair bit of it. And I disagree with reviews that say this is a book on the light side!! Which is what a lot of them say actually :(. I mean, sure it has a happy ending, but that's not everything!

While in Perth I'm planning to go see the three new third movies, Shrek the Third, Ocean's 13 and Pirates :). They are all still running here. At least till this Wednesday, so that means a movie every night :P. Let's see when Transformers releases here, I hope it's within the next 3 weeks!

Feeling: cold!! (it's winter here)
Listening to: Moby - Flying over the dateline

No comments:

Post a Comment