Wednesday 18 July 2007

Beyond heartache

...one might find peace.

I don't usually remember my emotions upon reading a book. But this time each moment seems distinctly etched. It probably helps that the instances were few and close together. If I had my way there would only have been two. (You need to get past the first chapter of Book One on faith. After that...)

I've been reading Michael Ondaatje's In the Skin of a Lion over the last few days, and it's been quite a ride. And now that I'm past the end, I strongly suggest that those who have not already read it, do so at the earliest possible :). I'm not saying everyone will love it. It's just that there are some books that.. well... Sometimes a book can be so much more than just the story it tells. There are little gaps, voids in shades of gray where you lose some of yourself in the interpretation. You can almost, but not quite, see bits of you that almost dissolved in the mist engulfing you, swirling all around you until eventually you're not entirely sure if it is the mist that refuses to let go, or is it you...

It can be so frustrating when you are dying to read a little further, and you know you haven't that luxury, 'cos transit is over, and the backdeck beckons :-<. Oh, one other thing about the book, this is the one that can truly justify John Berger's quote, not The God of Small Things, this book.

"The joyful will stoop with sorrow, and when you have gone to the earth I will let my hair grow long for your sake, I will wander through the wilderness in the skin of a lion."
- The Epic of Gilgamesh
...
He lay down to sleep, until he was woken from out of a dream. He saw the lions around him glorying in life; then he took his axe in his hand, he drew his sword from his belt, and fell upon them like an arrow from the string.
- In the Skin of a Lion
Currently: in awe, totally, totally blown away!
Listening to: Linkin Park - What I've done

No comments:

Post a Comment