Wednesday 31 October 2018

A short autumn interlude


And just like that, it's winter. Well, yesterday felt like it anyway! The world all covered in a fine layer of white! I don't remember snow actually staying on the ground this early in the season in recent years. It was all however somewhat short lived. Things have warmed up marginally, and with that, all is back as it was before the snow :(. Still, definitely has my hopes up for skiing :).


In the mean time, autumn's been spent lazily. Studying for the norskprøves that are now done. Reading a smattering of books. Hoping to get the passport back with a new UK visa... So bits and pieces.


I was mildly surprised as to how easily the language tests went actually :). And despite not knowing the actual results, the underlying purpose seems to have been served. I've come out the other end of the studying feeling like I can actually manage conversations in Norwegian passably comfortably :D.


When it comes to books, I did manage to finish the GRRM pretty quickly. And this time was pleasantly surprised by how peaceful, almost, the storytelling was! No general bloodbath at every other corner. Intrigue, but with a generally lighter undertone. It almost has me wondering if the years have added to my general sense of dread of the Song of Ice and Fire books. Regardless, it was a quick and enjoyable read.


I followed that up with Gardens of the Moon, and this time the experience was even better if anything! I am totally convinced that given the choice, a book-book is way better than any other form of book :). 


And then, rather out of the blue, I came across the entire Sin City series in the local library! We'd just dropped in to have a look at the re-organised library and found a whole separate section on music and films, when I noticed this rather large stack of books just strapped into a moving crate. Upon further investigation it looked as though they hadn't quite managed to find a space for these books yet, so just left them looking rather unloved. And it wasn't just any old books, it was all the sci-fi, fantasy and graphic novels! Effectively all my favourites. And idly browsing through these is how I ran into Frank Miller.


So at the moment, all other reading is on hold as I race through the weird and wonderful world of Basin City :). I was quite impressed how closely they'd managed to keep the Sin City film to the story-lines! What did catch me by surprise was how the series seems to be classified as 'young adult'. I'm not sure whoever made that decision has actually read any of the books :|.

No comments:

Post a Comment