Sunday 13 August 2023

Angus, like the cattle

So! Demon Copperhead, what can one say about it? First of all, for the first time in ages I've decided to deviate from my usual end of month wrap up to roll in my feelings about any books I might have read in the mean time. And mainly that's because of the sort of whirlpool of emotions this book has left me with.

As a suggestion from the book club, I'm more or less used to not knowing what to expect from books these days. Gone are the days of just three or four of us and knowing each others' reading preferences more or less inside out. With membership pushing double digits, surprises are more likely.

The first surprise, when I went looking for the book, was that author Barbara Kingsolver has quite the back catalogue. Yet I'd never even heard of her. I suppose her general choice of material is pretty far out of my usual comfort zone. But what writing! Powerful would be an understatement.

The whole thing with the opioid crisis in the US is obviously something one hears about, in bits and pieces, but this was eye opening! And not just that, but so much that seems to be such a deep undercurrent of life and definitely politics in small town America is presented in a way I'd never really experienced before. With such compassion.

The magic of the book for me, was that the whole things is narrated through such a lovable voice! Demon is incredibly believable, even for someone like me that's never gone through more or less anything that he's put through in the story. It's a hard trick that, making such an imperfect protagonist feel so worthy of sympathy.

I have to say, one of the reasons I felt I had to write this down right away was how much of a struggle the book felt for the last 150 odd pages before the final few chapters. Not just because bad things were happening, but how hard it was to take because of how invested I was in Demon. And the total contrast of that ending!


What can I say? I'm a sucker for happy endings. The proverbial ride off into the sunset. The sense of catharsis, the feeling that there is indeed such a things as redemption... That, and the superheroes :).

No comments:

Post a Comment