Wednesday 31 July 2024

With an outburst of colour, summer rolls along sedately

Right, so July's over! And for a change I don't feel like I've had all of Norway to myself. Is that a good or a bad thing? Not sure. A couple of weeks off (somehow the week off at the end of June kinda feels like part of the Norwegian July summer holidays) has definitely made a difference from the usual! Regardless, it's been a nice summer.

One thing I'm really happy about is that we've kept up with the cycling to work! The weather's been changeable, as it often is in Norway, but most weeks there's been a day or two where it's been nice, and we made the most of it! Although that's been the bulk of the cycling so far, so I've ended up with several photos of more or less the same places along the route in varying conditions :). Nothing new there, I guess I just find certain views more interesting. (Also, it's just easier to click photos while cycling at certain points on the route than others :).)


The other thing was the trip to the UK! And meeting another brand new member of the family! 8 days old, I mean, it feels surreal to see up close what little humans are like :D. Luckily, this seemed to be a pretty happy little human :).



Since then I've been back home and since my better half is away for a while, getting used to the idea of flying solo for the first time in a long time... I'm definitely reading a lot!

I guess it's fair to say the last book club book wasn't exactly a hoot. With the Lapps in the High Mountain is definitely groundbreaking. It is the account of Emilie Demant's time spent among the Sami in northern Sweden a little over a century ago. Having only experienced the very fringes of Sami culture in my time here, I definitely found it informative. Although the discussion at the book club particularly the insights from one of our number who grew up in northern Norway with Sami neighbours were probably more enlightening.

But for a very short book, it was quite an effort to get through. I have to say that the translator I think did a remarkable job in keeping a sense of the time when the book was originally written and still try to convey the meaning within our present context.

Since then though, I've been rather immersed in yet another accidental find. As I seem to be doing regularly these days, I was browsing the library shelves and The Invisible Library caught my eye. This time I had enough time to just pick it up and read a bit of it at the library, so I did! And the writing really caught my fancy :). 

So I took it home and got through it really quickly! Turns out it's an eight book fantasy series, and all the volumes are available at the local library! Fast forward a few weeks and now I'm deep into The Mortal Word (book 5) :D. Yay for libraries! (Invisible or otherwise!!:) )

Each book is technically standalone, so it should be possible to start anywhere or pick and choose which books to read, but I feel it's best to read them in order and together. While the main relevant plots points from previous books are fed through, the world building is progressive and feels a lot more fun when reading the books one after the other.

One downside of reading the books so quickly is that I've become a bit fuzzy on which detail happens where. Each book happens in a very distinctive environment though, so they all have their own charming points. Hopefully the rest of the series will progress in much the same vein and I'll be done with the whole lot before long :).

On the one hand, the same sentiment applies to the next few weeks that I'm expecting to be home alone. On the other hand, it's never a good idea to wish life away :). So I guess I'm hoping to enjoy August, ideally with enough days each week to go cycling and maybe a bit more besides. I guess we shall see...

PS. Must keep all the plants alive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment